Peggy Chi is a Senior Research Scientist at Google. She received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from UC Berkeley and an M.S. in Media Arts and Sciences from the MIT Media Lab. Peggy develops interactive systems that support users' creativity activities. Her research has received a Best Paper Award at ACM CHI, a Google PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction, a Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, and a MIT Media Lab Fellowship. She has published in top HCI venues and served on program committees, including CHI and UIST.
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Ph.D. in Computer Science
- Dissertation: Designing Video-Based Interactive Instructions
- Supported by the Google PhD Fellowship (2014-2016) and the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study (2011-2013)
- Advisor: Professor Bjoern Hartmann
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, USA
S.M. in Media Arts and Sciences, MIT Media Lab
- Thesis: Raconteur: Intelligent Assistance for Conversational Storytelling with Media Libraries
- Supported by the the ITRI Fellowship
- Research Assistant at the Software Agents Group
- Advisor: Research Scientist Henry Lieberman
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
M.S. in Computer Science
B.B.A. in Information Management
- Thesis: Enabling Calorie-Aware Cooking in a Smart Kitchen
- Received the Phi Tau Phi Award and Garmin Scholarship
- Research Assistant at the Ubicomp Lab
- Advisor: Professor Hao-hua Chu
|08/2016-||Research Scientist, Google Research, Mountain View, CA|
|05/2015-12/2015||SWE/Research Intern, Google Research, Mountain View, USA (with Yang Li)|
|05/2014-09/2014||SWE/Research Intern, Google Research, Mountain View, USA (with Yang Li)|
|06/2013-08/2013||Research Intern, Microsoft Research, Redmond, USA (with Steven Drucker and Bongshin Lee)|
|05/2012-08/2012||Research Intern, Adobe Research, San Francisco, USA (with Mira Dontcheva and Wilmot Li)|
- Scripting Cross-Device Wearable Interaction, 2016 (US 2016/0085366 A1)
- Re-Performing Demonstrations During Live Presentations, 2014 (US 2015/0234571 A1)
Honor and Awards
|2016||ACM CHI 2016 Best Paper Award|
|2014-2016||The Google PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction, USA|
|2011-2013||The Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, UC Berkeley|
|2012||Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Finalist, USA|
|2009-2010||ITRI Fellowship, MIT Media Lab [link][pdf]|
|2009, 2010||Conference Grant, Ministry of Education, Taiwan|
|2008||Phi Tau Phi Award, Member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society, Taiwan|
|2008||Conference Grant, Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2008||Third prize of Paper Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink and CML on Communications and Multimedia, Taiwan|
|2007||Garmin Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2007, 2008||1st place, Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia, National Taiwan University, Taiwan|
|2007||People's Choice Award, ACM CHI2007 Work-in-Progress Paper, San Jose, CA|
|2007||2nd place, ImagineCup 2007 Software Design Competition, Microsoft Taiwan|
|2006||Excellent Work Award, The 1st Acer Long-term Smile Contest, Taiwan|
Presidential Award, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
GPA in the top 5% of the students in Dept. of Information Management, 2004 Fall semester
Research/Software Engineering Interns and Mentees
- 2021: Daniel Nkemelu (Georgia Tech CS, Google Research Intern).
- 2019-2021: Anh Truong (Stanford CS, Google Research Intern). Now at Adobe Research.
- 2018: Abhimanyu Deora (University of Chicago CS, Google SWE Intern). Received a Google SWE FTE offer. Now at DRW.
- 2017: George Hodulik (Google Eng Resident). Converted to Google SWE FTE.
- 2017: Kenny Wibowo (UC San Diego CS, Google SWE Intern). Converted to Google SWE FTE.
- 2013-2016: Yi-Lin Jao (UC Berkeley CS). Now at Facebook.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043 USA